This superfood salad is packed with nutrients and vitamins (and is absolutely addicting). The quick-pickled red onions add a tangy bite to the dish, while the garlicky dressing breaks down Kale's tough leaves for a crunchy and hearty salad.
For the quick-pickled red onions
- 1 Red onion, sliced thinly
- Red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of sugar
For the salad
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale (aka dinosaur Tuscan kale), stems removed and cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 1 bunch spinach, stems removed and cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Clove garlic, minced or grated with a Micoplane
- 3 Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon grated white Cheddar
- Salt, and fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 Sprigs cilantro, stems removed
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
For the quick-pickled red onions:
- In a bowl, place the red onion slices and cover with the vinegar. Add the salt and sugar and toss. Leave for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, covered.
For the salad: Step 1:
- Place the kale and spinach in a large serving bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients (including the cheese). Whisk together until full incorporated and pour over the greens. Toss to combine and let sit for 15-30 minutes to soften the greens.
- After that time, add about half of the pickled red onions (the rest will stay for up to 1 week in the fridge), roughly tear the cilantro on top and sprinkle with the chia seeds. Serve immediately with extra fresh pepper, if desired.