This recipe was inspired by the number of colorful vegetables you can find in the dead of winter (yes, color does exist in a deep freeze).
For the salad
- 1 Bunch dinosaur kale, cut into a fine chiffonade (aka Lacinato or Tuscan kale)
- 1 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Avocado, cut into small chunks
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup white miso, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
For the salad:
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the avocado. Toss well and set aside.
For the dressing: Step 1:
- In a glass jar, combine the miso, honey, and vinegar and mix well. Add the oil and ginger and shake well. (You can also let it sit 24 hours, at least overnight, for the ginger to mellow and infuse.)
- Spoon over the kale salad and toss to coat. Let sit for about 30-60 minutes or overnight to allow the leaves to slightly wilt. Add the avocado and serve immediately.