Currently in season, cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables to cook with. It’s hearty, has a great texture, and is high in nutrients yet low in calories. It can be a great base for all types of recipes, and a healthier substitute for carbs like pasta or potatoes. While I’ve reluctantly replaced my linguini and my mashed potatoes with the white veggie, this casserole is so good it isn’t a “sub” for anything!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 16 ounce chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower, florets broken up into medium-sized pieces
- 4 ounce baby spinach
- 14 ounce diced tomatoes
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cup breadcrumbs
- Before you melt your butter, use the stick to butter a long rectangular pan.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Once boiling, place the cauliflower in the pot, stir, and lower the heat. Let it cook until the pieces are medium-tender. Drain the cauliflower, reserving ½ cup of broth.
- In a bowl, mix together the melted butter, baby spinach, and the diced tomatoes. Place the mixture in a rectangular pan. Sprinkle the top with both cheeses and the breadcrumbs. Place in the oven, cook for 40 minutes or until the breadcrumbs begin to crisp and the juices in the pan begin to bubble.
- For this recipe, I used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, and a combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Feel free to use plain or whole-wheat breadcrumbs, and any cheese combination you like. Another great thing about cauliflower is that it’s pretty basic, so you can really dress it up however you like.