This veggie and pasta salad makes a healthy and balanced lunch. You child may be able to order this in his or her school cafeteria, or you can make it at home.
- 1/2 cup broccoli crowns, fresh or frozen
- 2/3 cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoon yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon basil flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pound whole grain pasta, any shape
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
Day Before Step 1:
- Cook pasta per manufacturer’s instructions. Drain; rinse with cool water; drain, transfer to a non-aluminum container, cover, refrigerate.
- Prepare Italian Dressing: stir together oil, vinegar, pepper, garlic, mustard, basil, oregano, parsley, red pepper, cheese; transfer to a covered glass or plastic container; refrigerate.
- In a pot bring water to a boil.
- Wash and trim broccoli.
- Place broccoli into boiling water for about 2 minutes.
- Remove and cool rapidly by running under cold water and placing into the refrigerator.
Day of Serving Step 1:
- Wash and dice tomatoes; combine with pasta.
- Peel and thinly slice onions; combine with pasta.
- Add carrots and broccoli to pasta.
- Pour Italian Dressing over all combined ingredients; toss gently to coat all ingredients, refrigerate in covered non-aluminum container.