These scones are a great way to start your day. Serve them up to hungry guests or just keep them all to yourself.
- 3 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 8 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Cup white sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 10 Tablespoon unsalted butter (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)
- Zest of one large orange
- 1 Teaspoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 2 Cup confectioners sugar
- 2-4 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or fork until it is in pea sized lumps. Mix together 1 cup milk and sour cream in a measuring cup. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, add the zest and the juice and stir gently until combined. It will be a little lumpy, be care not to over mix.
- With floured hands, form dough into balls 2 to 3 inches across. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and flatten lightly. Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of milk. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash. Let them rest for a few minutes before putting them into the oven.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely on a baking rack before glazing.
- For the glaze, whisk the confectioners sugar and orange juice together until smooth. If it looks too thick, add more juice. Too thin, add more sugar until it’s a nice consistency for drizzling. Pour glaze over cooled scones and allow the glaze to set before serving.