This savory and fun alternative to the backyard barbecue favorite can become a staple in your kitchen.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, preferably Vidalia, chopped
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning, preferably Montreal
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning sauce
- 5 slice cheese, preferably American, Swiss, or sharp Cheddar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- Let the puff pastry dough sit out at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the ground beef, onion, steak seasoning, and seasoning sauce together. Form into 5 small, flat patties.
- Place the patties in a slow cooker for 1 hour on high. Remove and top each burger with a slice of cheese.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet to flatten slightly.
- Cut it into 5 relatively even rectangles.
- Cover each burger with a piece of puff pastry and wrap it around the bottom, pinching all of the edges to seal. Place on a baking sheet, pinched side down.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and water to make an egg wash.
- Brush each wrapped pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the puff pastry is nice and brown.