Strawberry shortcake is one of the best summertime desserts, but don't let that stop you from enjoying it all year round. In my opinion, the dish is best when made with fresh, homemade biscuits, but it's easy to save some time with this recipe and serve the strawberries with store-bought biscuits, pound cake, or even a slice of angel food cake.
To add a special twist, I macerated the berries in a bit of balsamic vinegar, which gives an extra layer of flavor to this simple, delicious dessert.
For the biscuits
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 teaspoon butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
For the filling
- 8 cup strawberries, sliced
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the biscuits: Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 4 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Rub the cold butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips, being careful not to let the butter warm up too much.
- Don't fully incorporate the butter into the flour mixture — you want some small butter pieces to keep the biscuits nice and flaky.
- Add the cream, and mix with a wooden spoon until the dough is just combined
- Liberally flour your countertop and, using a rolling pin or your hands, gather the dough into a ball and then flatten into a rectangle, approximately 8-by-4-inches.
- Cut the dough into 8 biscuits. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Brush the tops of each biscuits with the egg wash, and then sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden-brown, approximately 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
For the filling: Step 1
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries with 4 tablespoons sugar and balsamic vinegar. Mix well to combine and let sit for approximately 15 minutes.
- Whip the cream, 1 tablespoon sugar, and vanilla using an electric mixer until peaks form.
- To assemble, cut the biscuits in half horizontally. Top the bottom half of each biscuit with strawberries and whipped cream, then cover with the top half of the biscuit. Enjoy!