The French twist is a lighter take on the classic grilled cheese. Combining the cheese with apple slices adds a crunchy and juicy dimension to the sandwich, while the cranberry sauce lightly sweetens the savory and rich Brie. The grilled Brie, apple and cranberry sandwich is delicious all year but particularly in the spring and summer.
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick butter)
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 ounce Brie, sliced
- 1/3 green apple, sliced
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the butter in a nonstick pan over low heat. Immediately add the slices of bread making sure each piece soaks up the butter.
- Top one of the bread slices with the sliced Brie. Heat for 1-2 minutes until bread turns golden brown on the bottom. Remove from the heat.
- Place the bread and cheese on a baking tray and bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and bread is dark brown (approximately 5-7 minutes).
- Remove from oven and spoon cranberry sauce over the Brie. Arrange apple slices on top. Serve while warm.
- Olive oil can be substituted for butter, red apples can be used in place of green apples, and any sliced bread variety can be substituted for the sourdough bread.