French toast is a classic, easy brunch dish everyone should know how to make. This recipe is jazzed up with strawberries and chopped hazelnuts.
- 1 16-ounce box of strawberries, quartered
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup milk
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 loaf wheat bread, sliced
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Chop the strawberries and hazelnuts. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet, coating the pan evenly.
- One at a time, cover both sides of a slice of bread with the egg-milk mixture and place it in skillet. If you can fit 2 slices in your skillet, do 2 at a time.
- Cook both sides of the bread until dark brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Continue until you're out of bread.
- To serve, top the toast with the strawberry and hazelnut mix, and dust with powdered sugar.