This recipe combines the glorious and intriguing flavors of the Far East with the commonplace pumpkin. Dried curry powder evokes the flavors of India and coconut milk is reminiscent of the red, yellow, and green curries of Thailand. This unusual and flavorful curry is a delight that kids seem to love. If you’re sending this to school undercook the rice a bit, mix it with the hot curry, and pack it in a wide-mouth vacuum bottle.
- 2 Cup garbanzo beans, dry
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Cup fresh pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Cup kale, washed and roughly chopped
- The night before: soak the garbanzo beans in water.
- The next day cook the garbanzo beans in water until soft, approximately 2 1/2 hours at a simmer. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and add the pumpkin, onion, kale, and curry powder. Saute 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Add the garbanzos, coconut milk, vegetable stock, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice.