In the book "The Hunger Games," Katniss’ sister, Prim, owns a a black and white goat named Lady. Katniss rescued Lady for Prim on Prim's birthday. She saved Lady from being butchered and restored her to full health so the goat could provide the family with milk and cheese. Here is a recipe that pays tribute to Lady and the sustenance she gave Katniss and her family.
- Pre-made dough to make about 12 empanadas
- 1 cup rinsed black beans
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 Small chopped onion
- 4 ounce goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mince the cilantro and garlic and dice the onion. Heat oil over medium-high heat in large sauté pan. Add diced/minced ingredients and turn heat to medium. Add 1/4 teaspoon cumin, salt and pepper to mixture. Sauté about 6 minutes and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, crumble goat cheese over beans and mix well. Stir in sautéed ingredients.
- Roll out empanada dough and cut in discs 4 inches in diameter. Put 2 tablespoons of filling in middle of disc. Fold over to create a semi-circle shape and pinch dough closed.
- Place empanadas on baking sheet and place in oven for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.