Katniss first tried this stew on her way to participate in the Hunger Games. She loved it so much, she ordered it as her final meal before stepping into the Games to fight for her life. Before trying stew, Katniss had only eaten bread and squirrels she hunted illegally. While you probably won’t be forraging for squirrel meat before you try Herbed Lamb Stew, it will fill you with a hearty richness that will leave you wishing you were hungrier.
- 1 pound lamb stew meat
- 1 pound veal stew meat
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 Large onions, diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and cubed
- 2 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Remove meat and set aside in bowl. Add onions, carrots and 1 tablespoon of oil to pan. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring. Add beef broth and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat, cover and bake for one hour. Stir in fresh herbs and serve.