As more and more people are opting to go gluten free – both out of necessity and as a personal choice to live a cleaner, healthier lifestyle – this gluten free breakfast bake is a great, simple dish where all your favorite breakfast ingredients are cooked in one dish. And by using quality, gluten-free ingredients from Udi’s Gluten Free Foods that taste as good as if not better than conventional products filled with gluten, your guests will never know they are going gluten free. Make sure to use a glass-baking dish so you can see when your masterpiece is perfectly browned.
- UDI’S Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread Loaf, slices cubed
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 3/4 pound smoked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 28oz Can diced San Marzano tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a bowl toss bread and olive oil together, sprinkle with salt and pepper to season. Toast in glass dish for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, cook bacon until browned, about 8 minutes, set aside on a plate with paper towel to drain. Keep about 2 -3 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 3 – 5 minutes, add tomatoes, red pepper and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Return all ingredients to a large bowl along with cheeses, green onion. Toss until well combined. Transfer to oiled glass baking dish, cover with foil and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Using a spatula or a measuring cup, press down 6 holes in the bread, break and crack an egg into each indentation.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes depending on how well done you want your eggs.
- Scoop out with a spoon and serve immediately. This is great to serve with some Siracha hot chili sauce.
About Stuart O’Keeffe
Chef Stuart O’Keeffe’s cooking philosophy is ‘hearty but healthy.” He recently appeared as a co-star on two seasons of Food Network’s ‘Private Chefs of Beverly Hills’ and has his own cooking show in Ireland and New Zealand – ‘Stuart’s Kitchen.’ The show premiered in August 2011 along with a complementary iPad and iPhone app. In the app, Stuart cooks along with you, showing you how to perfect his recipes.