For our "Mad Men" party food, we went retro, starting with a plate of deviled eggs, all the better if you can serve them on one of those dimpled trays made especially for this purpose. These have chopped ham and a dash of hot sauce for the "devilry" part. Serve with a smirk and your best impression of the piquant wit of Roger Sterling.
- 12 Eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped smoked ham
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon yellow or Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickle
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Paprika, to garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Place the eggs in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover them by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil, then cover the pan and remove it from the heat. Let the pan sit for 12 minutes, then drain the eggs and run under cold water until they are cool enough to handle. Peel the eggs.
- Cut each egg in half lengthwise and carefully remove the yolks, collecting them in a food processor. Set the whites aside on a serving platter.
- To the yolks, add the ham, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, pickle and hot sauce. Pulse the mixture until mostly smooth, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the yolk mixture into a zip-close plastic bag. Use scissor to snip off one of the bottom corners about 1/2 inch up. Pipe the filling into each egg white. Garnish with a pinch of paprika and chopped parsley.