We've come up with an avocado and crab mini sandwich to celebrate the season premiere of "Mad Men." Avocado — both as a food and color — was a big hit in the 1960s kitchen; this combo brings in a hint of California, the "Tomorrowland" state where Draper goes to overcome his past.
- 12 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped pimento
- 1 Avocado, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 cup lump crab meat
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Brush each slice of baguette on both sides with some of the melted butter. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet, then season lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 6 to 7 minutes, or until toasted and lightly golden.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, hot sauce and olive oil. Gently stir in the chopped pimento, avocado cubes and crab meat.
- Arrange the baguette slices on a serving platter. Top each with some of the avocado and crab salad.