- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 2 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeño chile
- 5 Ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Canola oil or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lime
Creamy Ranch Avocado Dip
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1/2 Small red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Avocado (peeled, seeded and diced)
- Whisk first 7 ingredients in a bowl just to to blend. Whisk buttermilk, egg, and jalapeno in small bowl to blend. Stir buttermilk mixture and cheddar cheese into dry ingredients.
- Add about 1 1/2 inches of oil to a pan or dutch oven. Attach deep-fry thermometer to pan; heat oil to 320°F over medium heat. Working in batches of 4 or 5, drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil.
- Cook until golden, turning occasionally, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer hush puppies to paper towels and squeeze just a bit of fresh lime juice over the top while they are still warm.
- For the Avocado Ranch dip, place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture is smooth and well blended. Serve alongside Hush Puppies.
A Virtual Super Bowl Party
We joined with our friends to help you plan the perfect Super Bowl party. Check out other recipes above from the Food Network and a host of other sites joining in our virtual big game party.