We favor roasting large cuts of meat at a low temperature; the gentle heat cooks them evenly throughout (which means beautifully rosy pink slices of beef).
- 18-12 pound prime rib roast of beef, tied between the ribs
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°. Generously season roast all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy skillet large enough to accommodate the roast and sear the meaty sides of the roast until nicely browned, 5–10 minutes.
- Transfer the roast to a large roasting pan, rib side down, and roast in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 120° for rare, 130°–135° for medium-rare, and 140° for medium, 3–4½ hours.
- Transfer the roast beef to a carving board or a warm serving platter and let it rest for 30 minutes. Remove string before carving the roast.
A collection of some of our favorite recipes, the ones we cook for ourselves, our friends, and our families during the fall and right through the holiday season. These are recipes that will make you want to restock your pantry and refrigerator and start cooking.