It's no surprise that Santa is a sucker for egg nog. But the man guzzles gallons of it every holiday season and probably would welcome a twist on the formula. The complex mix of ruby port and rum in the rich creamy mixture brings a warmth and spice that traditional eggnog just can't match. The bright fruits and heat of the port marries with the molasses notes in the rum and keeps the nog from being the cloyingly sweet mess so many versions are. It merges into a cohesive whole that can't help but bring to mind thoughts of roaring fires, presents under the tree, and the smiling faces of loved ones.
- 2 fluid ounce spiced rum (Cruzan 9 spiced rum works well - balancing molasses sweetness and winter spices)
- 1 fluid ounce ruby port
- 1 large egg (make sure the eggs are fresh and from a trusted source to help avoid any food-borne illnesses)
- 1/4 cup sugar (mix half white and half brown sugar to bring out the molasses flavors of the rum even more)
- 8 fluid ounce whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 dashes orange or ginger bitters
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and frappe until the sugar dissolves and the egg is completely incorporated. The deep red of the port will be muted, but this stuff will look decidedly different than your usual eggnog.
- Serve in lowball glasses and grate fresh nutmeg over top. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and leave a fresh glass for the big man.