Our Frozen Orange Tortes with Cranberry Compote features a jeweled cranberry topping that cascades down a fluffy ice cream filling that's a dreamy citrus cloud.
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa
- 16 Chocolate wafer cookies
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare crust, combine first 3 ingredients in a food processor; process until finely ground. With motor running, pour butter through food chute; process until well blended. Divide crumb mixture evenly among 8 (6-ounce) straight-sided ramekins coated with cooking spray; press mixture into bottoms of ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until toasted. Cool completely.
- To prepare filling, place egg whites and salt in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Combine sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 250°. Gradually pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream into egg white mixture, beating at medium speed, then at high speed until stiff peaks form. Reduce mixer to medium speed; beat until mixture cools (about 8 minutes).
- Allow ice cream to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or until very soft; stir rind and orange juice into ice cream. Fold one-third of egg white mixture into ice cream mixture. Gently fold remaining egg white mixture into ice cream mixture. Divide mixture evenly among ramekins; freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
- To prepare the compote, combine 1 cup fresh cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in liqueur. Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight. Unmold tortes; serve with cranberry compote.