Add flavor to basic buttermilk biscuits with mashed pumpkin. It adds a rich, hearty flavor and golden color to the biscuits and makes them ideal for serving with ham at your holiday meal.
- 4 Cup self-rising flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon salt
- 2/3 Cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained
- 2 Cup buttermilk, chilled
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk self-rising flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles sand and pebbles. Pat sweet potatoes dry and chop; toss with flour mixture. Gently mix in buttermilk.
- Knead dough gently 3 or 4 times on a lightly floured counter. Roll out to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 -inch biscuit cutter. Pat together dough scraps and cut out more biscuits. Bake until tops are golden brown, 14 to 18 minutes. Brush with butter and serve hot.