A big, beefy burger straight from the grill is great for the occasional indulgence, but with a few changes you can get a delicious and nutritious substitute. By using ground turkey and adding some toppings full of flavor (sweet mango) and “good” fats (Hass avocado), you’ve got a burger that’s tasty and easy on the waistline.
These toppings also pack a nutritional punch. Mangos are bursting with vitamins A and C and contain antioxidant nutrients. Hass avocados deliver nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds for good health.
Combined with the savory turkey burger, the sweet mango and creamy avocado make a perfect full-flavored dish.
- 1 pound Ground turkey, 7 percent fat
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Olive oil spray
- 1 Ripe mango, cut in slices
- 1 Hass avocado, cut in slices
- 4 Pieces whole wheat pita
- 4 Leaves butter lettuce
- To prepare the burger, in a medium bowl, gently mix the turkey, salt, parsley, oregano and garlic.
- Form into four patties, each about one-inch thick.
- To cook the burgers, use a non stick griddle pan. Heat very hot.
- To cook the burgers, use a non stick griddle pan. Heat very hot and spray the pan lightly with olive oil.
- Griddle the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through (to an internal temperature of 165°F).
- Split the pita open and lightly toast.
- Place one turkey burger in each pita with a leaf of butter lettuce. Top with slices of mango and avocado and serve immediately.