Christmas is one of the happiest days of the year for most of us, but the morning, especially if over-excited kids are involved, can be fairly brutal for parents who just want a few more hours of sleep. Enter the gingerbread house – a combination of luxurious chocolate, ginger, and two warm and spicy sweet ginger liqueurs that can turn even the most Grinch-like dad into the next George Bailey in less time than it takes to put together the Legos under the tree.
- 3 ounce dark chocolate
- 2 cup milk (whole milk is important here, the spice of the ginger needs the extra texture provided by the extra fat in the milk)
- 2.5 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger
- 1 ounce canton ginger liqueur
- 1 ounce snap ginger snap liqueur
- Chop the chocolate and ginger finely and warm along with the sugar and milk in a saucepan, stirring constantly until combined.
- Turn the heat to low and add the liqueurs and stir again until fully combined.
- Strain in a fine mesh sieve and pour into mugsAnd don't forget the marshmallows.
- After all, when the kids wake you up at an unholy hour to unwrap presents and you're facing the prospect of piecing together things marked “some assembly required,” you deserve a little indulgence.