Everyone loves a good bowl of chili this time of year. This offers a healthy spin on the traditional recipe, which can be loaded with calories.
- 4 large chicken split breasts (with skin and bones)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large sweet yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bag frozen premium white pearl onions
- 12 cup chicken broth
- 5 16 oz can/jar white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicier)
- 4 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the chicken breasts skin side up on a sheet tray. Sprinkle them heavily with kosher salt, and place in the oven to roast. Cook the chicken until the chicken is cooked almost all the way through, about 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, add the olive oil, and then the diced onions and sprinkle them with salt.Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is beginning to soften and turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook over a medium heat. Make sure that the onions and garlic are not browning.When the onions and garlic are soft, add the bag of pearl onions. Let them cook with the other onions and garlic for another few minutes. Add the chicken broth and let it come to a simmer.
- While the broth is heating, shred the chicken breasts. Discard skin, fat and bones, keeping the breast meat of the chicken. Using forks, shred the chicken into bite sized chunks and set aside.When the broth and onions are simmering, add the rinsed, drained white beans and the chicken chunks. Season the chili with the peppers, cumin, cinnamon and vinegar.
- Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove the pot, and cook over a low heat for another 20 minutes. At this point, season the chili further with kosher salt, or if desired, more crushed red pepper flakes.
- Chili hot with cilantro, shredded white cheddar, avocado and pico de gaillo if desired.