Life has few constants than family, friends--and whiskey. It is a standby that goes with most occasions, and in this case, it's a gentle warmer perfectly suited for placing in the hands of newly arrived guests looking to shake the chill from their bones.The sweet spice of the whiskey marries perfectly with the rich nutty walnut liqueur, and the orange notes cut through it all, making for a no-nonsense drink that uncles and grandfathers will appreciate even as they grouse about not putting the stuffing in the bird like grandma used to do.
- 2 fluid ounce bourbon (Wild Turkey makes for a nicely spicy choice that plays into the theme)
- 5 fluid ounce walnut liqueur
- 5 fluid ounce orange liqueur (it's a holiday – go for the good stuff and grab the Grand Marnier)
- dash of orange bitters
- Mix all the ingredients together in a shaker full of ice and stir until ice cold.
- Strain into a cocktail glass and, if you're feeling generous, twist an orange peel over top to get the citrus oils into the drink to give guests something to truly be thankful for.