Leaf lard, butter, vanilla sugar yields enough for 1 double-crust pie.
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Sugar
- 12 tablespoon old unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup old rendered leaf lard or vegetable shortening
- 1/4-1/2 cup ice water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and Vanilla Sugar
- Using two forks or a pastry blender, cut in the butter and lard, making sure to leave some chunks of butter the size of peas. Stir the ice water into the flour mixture until a ball has formed.
- Work quickly and do not overmix. Form the mixture into two equal-sized disks. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. The dough will be a little crumbly.
- The dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 3 months.