Libbie Summers' vanilla sugar recipe yields 2 cups.
- 1 organic vanilla bean
- 2 cup sugar
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut a slit down the side of the organic vanilla bean, remove the seeds, and place them, along with the bean, in a 1-quart jar with a lid. Fill the jar with the sugar.
- Screw on the lid and give it a good shake.
- Let the sugar sit in a cool pantry for 2 weeks to attain peak flavor before using (although I’ve been known to use it after just 2 days).
- Keep adding more sugar to the jar as you use it.
- One vanilla bean will last through three jars of sugar.