The kitchen can get oppressively hot when the oven is on full blast, desperately attempting to get the bird cooked, before the family resorts to cannibalism. This tangy libation can cool things down in a hurry, with a refreshing effervescence courtesy of quality ginger beer and the sweet and sour cranberry notes. Combine those flavors with almond liqueur and a little whiskey to make the medicine go down in what Mary Poppins once called, “the most delightful way” and you've got a recipe for a happy chef.
- 1 tablespoon jellied cranberry sauce
- 1.5 ounce bourbon (Buffalo Trace tends to have just the right amount of sugar and spice to balance the rest of the cocktail)
- 1 ounce almond liqueur (Disarrono is the easiest to find and the gold standard, but Amarguinha is an intriguing Portguese liqueur that's gives a little bit different almond flavor and pairs well with the cranberry)
- 2 ounce ginger beer
- Squeeze of lime
- Add the bourbon and cranberry sauce to a shaker and stir briskly. The alcohol should break the jellied sauce down and “flash infuse” – pulling the cranberry flavor from the sauce extremely quickly. Add ice and the rest of the ingredients except the lime and stir again until well chilled and combined.
- Strain with a mesh sieve into a highball glass filled with ice and squeeze the lime over top.