How to Make the Most Out of a Spring Break Spent at Home
At first it may feel like a drag if your friends are jetting off to a tropical destination as you trudge back to your hometown for spring break. However, there are lots of fun and rewarding things that can be accomplished at home—check out these tips!
- Send out a group Facebook message to all of your high school friends. In my experience, most of my friends from home either have the same spring break as I do, or have the week off before or after me, resulting in at least one overlapping weekend. Coordinate a night out to dinner with those who will be around.
- Spend time with your siblings. Now that you’re in school and—especially if you live far away—you might rarely see your brothers and sisters. Treat them to a movie or go out to ice cream.
- Catch up on TV. While I’m at school, I barely have time to breathe, let alone stay up-to-date on my favorite television shows! Make use of Hulu or Netflix and see what’s new on “How I Met Your Mother,” or “Downton Abbey.”
- Get a little schoolwork done. I know, I know: this is probably the last thing you want to do. Plus, I always bring work home with the intention of getting ahead, and it never seems to happen. However, if you give yourself one small, manageable task (I will finish the 50 page article I need to read for the week after spring break!), you’ll thank yourself when you’re overwhelmed getting back into the swing of things at school.
- Get your parents up to speed. I often find myself talking to my parents for brief two minute conversations as I’m walking to class or work. Spending spring break at home can be a great time to sit down for a while and fill them in on your professors, friends, and what you’re working on in your classes.
- Save money. A pro of not jetting off to Cancun or Florida is that you’re most likely going to be saving a lot of money! And why not earn some while you’re at it? See if your summer or winter job needs help for the week or so that you are home.
- Sleep. Easily one of the best benefits of relaxing at home! Catch up on all of the zzzz’s lost during your hectic semester, and head back to school feeling refreshed!