ABC's Channing Dungey discusses decision to cancel 'Roseanne': 'It wasn't that difficult'

ABC's Entertainment president Channing Dungey discussed her decision to cancel the popular series “Roseanne” following Roseanne Barr’s racist tweet about former President Barack Obama’s aide Valerie Jarrett.

When Dungey was asked by The Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday how difficult it was to give “Roseanne” the boot, the entertainment president responded by saying it wasn’t.

“It wasn’t that difficult,” Dungey said. “It felt like a line had been crossed and we needed to stand by our values as a company.”

KIM, KHLOE KARDASHIAN SHADE SISTER KOURTNEY’S EX-BOYFRIEND YOUNES BENDJIMA

Dungey said she would not have done anything differently when looking back on her decision to cancel the series, even despite its popularity.

“No, I don’t think so,” she said. “I think the swift, decisive action really spoke volumes and I think we’re proud of what we did.”

Dungey went on to say she was excited for “The Conners” and getting the cast back together.

“I am excited about the fact that we’re able to bring the cast back and a majority of the crew back to work on ‘The Conners’ – that’s important to me. That was my one disappointment that day – thinking about the innocent people who were affected by the decision. The fact that we’re now able to move forward with ‘The Conners’ feels good,” Dungey said.

Dungey said she received positive feedback when she announced her decision to pull the plug on “Roseanne.”

TOM HARDY SAYS HIS FRIENDSHIP WITH PRINCE HARRY IS ‘DEEPLY PRIVATE’

“There was a lot of positive response, particularly from communities in this town that have felt marginalized at times or that things happened that are overlooked or brushed over,” she said.

Dungey said in some ways, Barr's tweet "was the last straw."

“We've had multiple conversations about wanting to keep the focus on the show and not to let some of the other stuff eclipse the show. So, in some ways, this was a last straw. But it was also such an egregious tweet that it felt like no matter what, there would have been some action that we would have taken,” she said.

When asked if she had a message for Barr, Dungey replied, “no.”

“The Conners” is slated to premiere on Tuesday, Oct. 16. Cast members John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman are set to reprise their roles. It’s unclear at this time how the family will continue without Barr’s character or how she’ll be written out.

Fox News’ Sasha Savitsky and Tyler McCarthy contributed to this report.

Kathleen Joyce is a breaking/trending news producer for FoxNews.com. You can follow her at @Kathleen_Joyce8 on Twitter.