An early cut of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" was screened for a Texas man suffering from terminal cancer Thursday after his wish to see the latest chapter in the epic series went viral.
Directed by J.J. Abrams, the seventh film in the "Star Wars" series, premieres in theaters Dec. 18. But Daniel Fleetwood, 32, didn't think he would be able to survive that long. Fleetwood has spindle cell sarcoma, a rare form of connective tissue cancer. In July, Fleetwood’s oncologist estimated he had two months to live.
"Judging by how progressive the disease has gotten in the past two months, I really don't think that I'll be able to make it," Fleetwood told Houston's KPRC-TV last week.
On Thursday, Fleetwood's wife, Ashley, posted on Facebook that her husband's dying wish had been granted. She said that Abrams had personally called the couple Wednesday to set up the screening.
"Today the wonderful Disney and Lucasfilms made his final dream come true, in the amazing typical Disney way, they really do make dreams come true!" she wrote. "Daniel just finished watching an unedited version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens!!" Lucasfilm, which produces the Star Wars series, is owned by the Walt Disney Company.
Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "The Return of the Jedi," expressed gratitude that Fleetwood had been able to see the movie.
I just read this and am elated for Daniel & his family! Thanks to the powers-that-be for making his dream come true. https://t.co/ImiAdyBxf8
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) November 5, 2015
Variety reported that Abrams has a history of letting ill fans see early cuts of his work. In 2013, he screened a first cut of "Star Trek: Into Darkness", for a fan who died days later.