Miley Cyrus revealed Monday via her social media accounts she will be hosting the 2015 MTV Video Awards. The 25-year-old singer-actress posted a split image photo with the caption “F--k yeah VMAs!!!!!” Cyrus announced the gig by posting a photo of herself in an alien costume with sandwich boards that read "MTV won't let me perform" and "So I'm hosting this year's VMAs."
Cyrus made waves last year when she won the video of the year trophy and invited a young homeless man named Jesse Helt on stage to accept the trophy on her behalf. The year before that, she angered the Parent’s Television Council with a tongue-out twerk-filled performance with then-married singer Robin Thicke.
The former Disney child star is no stranger to controversy.
- The Bangerz Tour in 2014 was no “Party in the USA” for Cyrus. Revealing a more provocative side filled with plenty of twerking, marijuana thong leotards, and backlash from parents— Miley proved she was just being Miley.
- At the MTV EMA’S in Amsterdam in November 2014, Cyrus accepted the best video award for “Wrecking Ball” while lighting up a joint on stage.
- Miley raised eyebrows when she went topless on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine in October 2013.
- As Cyrus released her music video for “Wrecking Ball” in 2013, critics were shocked she was riding a wrecking ball naked, licking a sledgehammer and rolling on the ground in her underwear. Cyrus racked up more than 16 million video views in less than 24 hours.
- For the Teen Choice Awards in 2009, Miley took over the stage to perform her hit “Party in the USA”, but it turned out to be more of a pole dancing performance more than anything.
- In 2008, as Annie Leibovitz shot Miley Cyrus for a Vanity Fair spread, some fans went nuts as she appeared to be naked holding a satin sheet over herself for cover.
Who knows what this year’s VMA’s will bring, but fans can be sure Cyrus will bring her famous tongue and twerking skills to make it a memorable show.
The Associated Press contributed to this report