Russell Brand arrested for iPhone throw, freed on bail

Published March 16, 2012

| NewsCore

Russell Brand was released on bail Thursday, after turning himself in to New Orleans authorities earlier the same day for allegedly hurling a photographer's iPhone through a window.

The British comedian, star of "Get Him To The Greek" and "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," was freed on a $5,000 bond, TMZ reported.

He had surrendered to police after an arrest warrant was issued for the charge of "simple criminal damage" in the amount of $700.

Photographer Timothy Jackson said he had been out with several fellow photographers Monday night when he started taking pictures of the 36-year-old Brand with his iPhone. Brand allegedly "flipped out" and snatched Jackson's phone before throwing it at a building, breaking a window in the process, Radar Online said.

Brand has since paid for repairs to the broken window -- belonging to a law firm.

On Wednesday, Brand joked about the incident, tweeting, "Since Steve Jobs died I cannot bear to see anyone use an iPhone irreverently, what I did was a tribute to his memory."

Brand, who split from his pop singer wife Katy Perry last year, is currently filming a movie in New Orleans.

In 2010, he was arrested on suspected battery charges after he allegedly attacked a paparazzo at Los Angeles International Airport. He escaped punishment after his lawyers came to an undisclosed agreement with the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/03/16/russell-brand-arrested-for-iphone-throw-freed-on-bail/