NEW YORK – Kidnap victim Elizabeth Smart will take up a role as a contributor for ABC News, The Daily Beast reported late Wednesday.
"This is definitely not about looking backward and telling her story, which has been well told and retold," ABC spokeswoman Julie Townsend said of Smart's role.
Instead, Smart will be "helping viewers understand missing-persons stories from the perspective of knowing what a family experiences when a loved one goes missing."
She said Smart will appear "when there are missing children or missing-person cases in the news."
Smart was taken at knifepoint from her parents' home in Salt Lake City, Utah, in 2002, when she was just 14. She was raped on a near-daily basis over a nine-month period.
The teen was found when an alert biker, who had heard about the kidnapping on "America's Most Wanted," spotted her in Sandy, Utah, about 18 miles (29km) from her home, in the company of Brian David Mitchell and his wife, Wanda Barzee.
Mitchell was sentenced to life in prison in May this year. Barzee had earlier pleaded guilty to federal charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor and is serving a 15-year prison sentence.