Published May 30, 2011
LOS ANGELES -- The producers of the CBS sitcom "Two and a Half Men" have not submitted the show's most recent season to be considered for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series, Deadline.com reported Monday.
Warner Bros. Television confirmed that the show had not been submitted for Outstanding Comedy Series despite having produced and aired enough episodes in its eighth season to be eligible, the report said.
Sources close to the show said producers decided the show should not be submitted due to controversies surrounding former star Charlie Sheen.
He was fired from "Two and a Half Men" in March after engaging in a public battle with the show's creator, Chuck Lorre, and network executives.
Sheen later sued Lorre and the studio for $100 million for terminating his contract. That lawsuit is still pending.
CBS announced earlier this month that former "That '70s Show" star Ashton Kutcher would join the ninth season of the hit comedy as a new character.
"Two and a Half Men" has been nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series three times, most recently in 2008, but never won the award. Cryer won an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 2009.