Published April 12, 2011
Television host Nancy Grace is being sued by former colleague Patricia Caruso for allegedly breaching a contractual agreement to develop a syndicated television series that Grace would host, and for which Caruso would serve as executive producer.
According to the complaint filed in the Supreme Court in New York last month, Caruso and Grace first met in 2002 while both working for the cable television channel Court TV in which they became personal friends and professional colleagues. In early 2008, Caruso alleges that the two started developing a series under the working title “Grace’s Cases,” and that Grace committed to cooperate in the development of the series and promised not to proceed unless Caruso was retained and credited as an executive producer.
The court documents state that in May 2009, after months of network pitching under Caruso’s direction, CBS made Grace an offer to shoot a pilot for what would become “Swift Justice With Nancy Grace,” and as “negotiations intensified (Grace) indicated every intention to abide by the Agreement.”
Caruso claims that for two years she “worked tirelessly and successfully to develop, market and sell a syndicated television series featuring Grace – all in support of her future role as executive producer of the series.” In October 2009, news broke that the CBS sold the series in 80 percent of the U.S syndicated market and Caruso said the two, accompanied by their husbands, went out for a celebratory dinner.
However, in the Spring of 2010 – despite Grace’s reassurances that CBS would make Caruso an offer and she would not proceed without her – Caruso alleges the TV host signed on to host “Swift Justice With Nancy Grace” without her as executive producer.
"Ms. Grace will respond in full, in court -- not the media -- and has great faith that the truth will come out," a legal rep for Grace told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column.
Caruso is seeking $15 million in damages.
Deidre Behar contributed to this report.