Charlie Sheen's children were removed from his custody after his estranged wife Brooke Mueller was granted a temporary restraining order against the actor following claims he threatened her several times, FOX News confirms.
The two Sheen boys, Bob and Max, were removed from Sheen's L.A. mansion by Mueller, 33, who was backed by a court order, the LAPD told FOX. Police were on hand to act in a stand-by capacity.
According to police, the two boys were placed in a car by Sheen, 45, shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday night. LAPD Media Relations Officer Norma Eisenman told FOX that it was a peaceful transaction.
On his Twitter account late Tuesday night, Sheen posted, "My sons are fine... My path is now clear... Defeat is not an option...!"
Earlier in the day, Mueller’s lawyer provided paperwork alleging several "specific, descriptive threats" made by Sheen -- and he was ordered to stay at least 100 yards away from Mueller.
Mueller is claiming the youngsters shouldn't be raised in that environment, where Sheen lives with his two "goddess" girlfriends and where partying that Sheen has described as "epic" has taken place.
The star of CBS' "Two and a Half Men" appealed on camera to Mueller "to reach out to me" to discuss the situation.
He said he doesn't know where the boys were taken.
Moments after the "Today" interview, Sheen told reporters outside his Los Angeles home that the legal move caught him by surprise.
"It came out of the bleachers, actually," he said. "Yeah, I was told a restraining order was being delivered and I thought, 'OK, I can deal with that.' And it was revealed that it was something much more serious."
Asked why Mueller got the court order, he replied, "It's just silly. I think she's latching on to some of this recent press."
RadarOnline reported that Sheen -- who has two daughters with former wife Denise Richards and an adult daughter from a previous relationship -- was seeking sole custody of Bob and Max.
"Charlie believes Brooke, at present, is not in a position to care for the children with the love and attention they need," a source told the entertainment site. "He has consulted with a lawyer about what move he can take next."
The couple filed for divorce on Nov. 1, 2010, following a widely reported violent altercation between the two during a Christmas holiday to Aspen, Colo., in 2009. They wed in May 2008.
Sheen has been battling with his bosses at CBS at this week over their decision to shorten the current season of “Two and a Half Men.” Production of the network’s hit show was suspended Friday, with producers citing Sheen’s “statements, conduct and condition.”
Warner Bros. agreed to pay the crew of "Two and a Half Men" for half of the eight episodes that were canceled.
Sheen has garnered a flurry of media attention in recent days and appeared on numerous television and radio interviews.
The star joined Twitter on Tuesday, a day after his publicist, Stan Rosenfield, resigned. Though there are several fake Twitter accounts, this one has been verified as authentic by Twitter. Sheen had more than 500,000 followers by midnight ET. His Twitter bio: Unemployed Winner.
The first message he posted was a photo of himself and porn star Bree Olson smiling and holding up a bottle of chocolate milk and a fruit drink. It was subtitled, "Winning! Choose your vice."
Fox News’ Meaghan Murphy, The Associated Press and Newscore contributed to this report.